As another blogger has pointed out, this is the season in which folks are deciding whether or not to accept their offers of admission to UBC. So here is my list of why UBC is a pretty awesome place for your graduate studies:
- We have ocean, beach and forest surrounding the campus
- The warmest weather in Canada! Having just been to Toronto, let me tell you this is a huge plus!
- Yes it rains – buy a rain jacket and umbrella and you are set
- Vancouver is beautiful and easy to get around by transit
- UBC is one of the top universities in the world esp. for research
- There is a vibrant grad community full of diverse students from all over the world
- There are a ton of great social activities on and near campus
- Vancouver is one of the most “fit” cities in the world – mountains and ocean at your doorstep
- There are amazing options for FOOD! in this city, diverse and delicious
- Vancouver basically runs on coffee and sushi…and wearing Lululemon
- Lots of job opportunities and if you can’t find what you want – make your own!
The most important part of deciding to go to grad school is realizing that you will get out of it what you put in. Money matters aside, this time is a great privilege afforded to few. Enjoy it and make the most of it!